Guys give restaurant servers $200 just to make their day (video)

This was sweet.

waitress-200-bucks

It reminds me of the earlier video we posted of the guy who traveled around the country leaving $500 tips for waiters and waitresses on behalf of his brother who had just died.

9 Responses to “Guys give restaurant servers $200 just to make their day (video)”

1. rmthunter says:

Hell, I even tip the kids who sell popcorn at the Zoo. The smiles are worth a lot more than the dollar I give them. It’s not all that long ago that I had to count pennies to figure out if I could afford popcorn — I remember what it’s like.

2. chuck says:

I’m a trucker and the tips at truckstops are usually quite low because mostly we don’t make what some might think we do. Many of these waitresses at truckstops are women older than 55. The grind on them is much harder. Usually around Christmas I make it a point to leave a nice chunk of money for one of these ladies at whatever random truckstop I’m at. Enough to pay some bills or to take yourself to the store and buy some needed things. I just leave the money and slip out not looking for thanks. I have dated waitresses and know very well what they go through. What really sickens me are the business men in suits who go to a restaurant and use the calculator function on their cell phone to figure the tip to the penny and then you see them digging change out of their pockets. If you listen in the diners etc. you will hear the waitresses chatter amongst each other late at night about their struggles and you can figure out how to leave money if you can find your heart.

3. aachrisg says:

I’ve gotten a great deal of satisfaction from doing a variant of this that is even a bigger deal to the people receiving it.
    I’m into scuba diving, which means travelling in desperately poor third world countries such as Papua New Guinea. We’ll usually end up spending a day or so in a city as part of the complexities of getting out to the remote areas. This usually means taking a taxi out for dinner or to see a site. Usually the taxi will be only a few bucks (or maybe $15 if it’s something like an hour long drive or having the taxi driver wait while you explore), and the “taxi” will actually be an old car owned by the driver.

We’ll tip the driver something like $200 as in these videos. But a waiter or waitress in the US who gets a $200 tip is able to use it for something like part of their rent money, paying the utilities or something like that. NOTE: I’m not discounting the hardship of waiting tables in the US.

But in PNG, $200 can be life-changing money. $200 can mean the cab drivers daughters can get the uniforms and books they need to attend school school. $200 could mean a significant upgrade of the sheet metal shack they live in. $200 can mean being able to start a business.

Your money goes far in the third world. If you ever vacation in the desperately poor areas of the world, do this. It will make you feel really good.

Waiting tables is among the most stressful and difficult of jobs, particularly among older servers. Over tip, be generous, acknowledge the humanity waiting on you. If you get a snotty nasty server leave a smiley face on the napkin.

5. No, actually, you can hear one of the co-workers say she was on her bike when she got hit by the car, and that her colleagues chipped in a bought her a new one. So, this tip had to seem like a miracle.

6. samizdat says:

“She got hit by a car, like, three weeks ago…” (I think she meant while she was in her car, but…) When one is at this socio-economic level, something like that can mean the difference between a job and unemployment, and the inevitable slide towards penury. Most people have friends and family who can, and often do, chip in to help while the affected person gets back towards some kind of equilibrium. Sometimes, sadly, help does not come. I’ve seen the former in action, and have once or twice been one of those chipping in. But I’ve also seen the results of the latter, and it isn’t pretty, especially if the affected individual is a woman.

7. Houndentenor says:

Maybe it’s just me, but it seems lately that the people working as servers and at fast food places are trying a lot harder. I guess people are just grateful to have a job or they finally figured out to hire friendly people to work in these jobs. In any case, since I hardly ever spend very much I always add to my tip. Not this much, of course, but it would feel good to help out people like this who work very hard jobs for not very much money and almost never have any benefits like vacation pay.

8. HeartlandLiberal says:

We always tip 20%, or even more, if the waiter has been really nice. In out town, a lot of them are students working their way through college, which is harder and harder to do for those who do not have rich parents. And at some of our favorite breakfast spots and family restaurants, the waitresses are earning their living. And they deserve an honest wage.

Random acts of kindness and generosity. Nothing finer.