Schmaltzy feel-good commercial from Thailand

It’s a wee bit predictable, but folks on YouTube seem to be crying over this, so figured I’d post it.

thai-film

It’s well done. I’m guessing it’s a sort of Thai public service announcement about kindness.

16 Responses to “Schmaltzy feel-good commercial from Thailand”

1. woodroad34 says:

This same story played as an email chain awhile ago…I think the beneficiary of a good deed was Colin Powell or the doctor who did the first heart transplant on the guy who helped him when he was a kid.
    Still I would like to see this video played on American TV’s now that being kind seems to have been forgotten and simple American Christian charity (without the corporate structure) appears to have been lost/forgotten/blighted by the Teaparty Republicans.

The true divine is paying it forward. What comes as instinct, later becomes a practice of joyful compassion.

3. Or George Zimmerman shows up and shoots him.

4. unrepentant_expat says:

Lack of socialized medicine bad Karma with heavy collateral damage.

5. emjayay says:

I was just wondering if that was a bit of an anachronism. I did get a goldfish in a plastic bag full of water at Woolworth’s about a hundred years ago.
    Just thinking about this damn video makes me a bit verklempt. Damn adorable Asian boy with his head down (that’s where it starts).

6. unrepentant_expat says:

But indeed it was even back then as were soft drinks with ice as the deposit on the bottle was prohibitively expensive for most folks,

I’ve seen it done that way in India, too.

Not that far back but yes, I’ve seen soup packaged that way both there and in some Asian restaurants here.

9. emjayay says:

Anyone buy soup to go in Thailand in 1983? Did it come in a plastic bag?

Oh man, I can’t watch that movie. It really gets me. Of course, the movie, “Rudy”, reduces me to a bag of tears every time I see it.

11. cole3244 says:

there’s nothing wrong with feeling good once in a while.

12. Phil says:

The U.S. version would have had the kid beaten by an angry mob and that would have been the end of the commercial – 30 seconds to fit the broadcaster’s time slot. The final screen would show brought to you by (insert name), sheriff. Vote for me in Nov.

13. Quilla says:

Exactly. A beautiful “play if forward” moment.

Oh yeah… that’s a tear-jerker all right.

Make me want to watch Pay It Forward again…