Marcia Wallace, depending on your age, was known to you as either Carol Kester, Bob’s receptionist on The Bob Newhart Show, or as school teacher Edna Krabappel (aka Mrs. Ned Flanders) on The Simpsons.

She just died, at 70.

I, of course, remember Wallace as Bob’s secretary Carol, but had no idea she was Mrs. Krabappel (pronounced with the accent on the second syllable and a soft “a,” as only The Simpson would do).

Now that I watch the video of her on The Simpsons, below, it’s obvious from the voice that it’s her.

bob-newhart-cast Edna_Krabappel-large

Here’s Marcia Wallace as Carol Kester, receptionist on The Bob Newhart Show:

And here she is as Edna Krabappel, who went on to marry Ned Flanders in secret:

26 Responses to “Carol the receptionist from Bob Newhart, aka Edna Krabappel from The Simpsons, just died”

1. fosud25 says:

learn how to generate 75 dollars daily from your own home. Just simply visit: surveymoneymaker dot net

2. Dakotahgeo says:

RIP, Carol! And no HA! about it! :( You will be missed and never forgotten!

3. Megan says:

I cant believe she battled breast cancer for 30 years, a truly irreplacable character on the simpsons, and a irreplacable woman.

4. friv 2 says:

She’s a superb top

I continue to trust the Simpsons to make visible the utter mediocrity of America’s self-identified middle class public life.

6. CaptainGintoki says:

Too true.

7. CaptainGintoki says:

Indeed. 8th or 7th is the true end for me.

8. CaptainGintoki says:

All the night cartoons? Really…? Are you high?

Anyway, may she rest in peace.

You have to admit. Mrs. Krabappel gave the impression of having once been an intelligent and dedicated teacher ground down into apathetic mediocrity. The other teacher you see a lot of, Miss Hoover, never had any ability.

10. UncleBucky says:

She was my best teacher. :(

The Simpsons is still great.

At what?

She was fantastic. May she rest in peace.

13. S1AMER says:

Yeah, me too! That was a great show, and she was a big part of the fun.

14. emjayay says:

Jeeze, Debbie Downers. The Simpsons is still great. As are all the other Fox Sunday night cartoons.
    Obviously that part of Fox is totally unrelated to the “news” part.

15. That’s too bad.

Unfortunately I can easily believe it: the world of newspaper comics supplies us with many examples of comic strips that used to have a point other than merely existing, that used to be funny.

17. Oh god, how funny! And for me, when I read Mrs. CRABapple, I said, who is that, I don’t remember that character. Then watched the video and saw “oh, Mrs, krabAPPLE”

Marcia was always fantastic — and yes, I’m old enough to remember her more as Carol than as Mrs. Krabapple. Terrific comedienne with an amazing ability to keep a straight face

There was one memorable opening sequence from many years ago, when Bart — as usual — was writing the same thing over and over on the chalkboard:

“I never age or get older. Am I a monster?”

Yep.

I just can’t believe the show is still on the air.

20. Check out how Charles Nelson Reilly treats her on Match Game when he takes over as host! Hull! Hull! Hull! Too bad she hadn’t been on “The Ghost and Mrs Muir”!

21. pappyvet says:

Loved her. Her timing was always perfect.

22. Krusher says:

I loved her on Newhart. Now I has a big ol’ sad.

23. paaat says:

It’s funny the things we notice and the things we miss.
    I always recognized her voice as Carol from the Bob Newhart show, but I never realized until just now that Krabappel could be mispronounced “Crab Apple.”

24. The_Fixer says:

Oh that’s sad. She was off the radar for a while after The Bob Newhart Show, but I instantly recognized her voice when she appeared on The Simpsons. I watched Newhart’s show religiously when it first came on the air. Same with The Simpsons. Now I wonder who Bart’s teacher will be? And now Ned Flanders has outlived two wives. Quite frankly, I never saw Flanders and Krabapple as a couple. It was one of those things that the writers of The Simpsons did that degraded the quality of the show, IMHO. Now I feel like Comic Book Guy saying that.

Thanks for the entertainment, Marcia. May you rest in peace.

25. Dick_Woodcock says:

I think this ends the mystery of which character is going to be killed off this season.
    The show producers must have known she was sick.
    Even if they didn’t know she was, now Mrs. Krabappel is an obvious choice.

And here she is as Edna Krabappel, who went on to marry Ned Flanders in secret…

That never happened, you know. “The Simpsons” really ended after its 8th season. That’s my belief and I’m sticking to it in the face of all contrary evidence!