Apparently hipsters are getting beard transplants (video)

Apparently the latest hipster fad is getting a beard transplant.

You’ll fork over anywhere from $5,000 to $15,000 for the procedure, depending on how much hair they need to implant

They get the follicles from the back of you head and then implant them one by one on your face. Your face is back to normal in a few days, and one video said that the hairs don’t start growing for 3 months, which I found interesting.

One doctor says that he used to do 2 to 3 beard transplants a year, whereas now he’s doing them weekly.

Patient pre-transplant, showing the patchy areas the patient wanted filled. (Courtesy of Modena Hair Institute)

I also found it interesting that none of the videos I could find on YouTube showed a true before and after comparison, once the transplant had grown. That’s struck me as a bit suspicious, as you’d think that’d be the best sales pitch they could give you.

Here’s a video from CNN about the transplants, and below it a video showing an actual transplant (but again, not showing how his beard looked after the hair started growing).

(NOTE FROM JOHN: It’s hugely important to our continued success that you share our stories on social media by using the “Like” buttons at the top and bottom of this story to share it on Facebook, Tweeting it to your friends, and sharing it on other services. Without that additional traffic, our advertising dies, and so do we. We need your help – if you like one of our stories, please share it online.)

(h/t Towleroad)

11 Responses to “Apparently hipsters are getting beard transplants (video)”

1. NotConvinced says:

Beard transplant + fade = Duo Hip

2. bluesborn says:

Getting a beard transplant has to be the most un-hip thing I can think of.Reminds of the Zappa line “is that a real poncho or is that a Sears poncho?”.

3. Janus303 says:

It’s gotten completely out of control in tech, as has the gender gap. It wasn’t like this 20 years ago. There was a cultural collapse after the 2002 crash and it what came back to life looks nothing like what was there before–which was already a youth-oriented sausagefest.

4. rambie says:

Oh come on, beards and scruff had some time in the 70’s. Plus I agree with tundra Mike, let it grow, mine was thinner until I let it grow awhile.

You may want to let it grow. You may be surprised. I’ve had a beard for three decades, and it hasn’t thinned as I age.

6. MichaelS says:

Don’t kid yourself… The youth cult is strong everywhere.

7. MichaelS says:

Ugh — It kills me. Ever since high school I *always* liked the scruff look on guys, but it was never “in”. Still, ignoring that, in my 20’s, 30’s, and 40’s I couldn’t wear it because of job constraints. Now that it’s finally become the “in” thing, my beard’s grown too thin for it. Where’s my time machine??

8. usagi says:

Silicon Valley is now the leading edge of cosmetic surgery for men. In their 20s. The youth cult is so strong up here, looking like you’re in your mid-twenties has apparently become a problem for guys looking for tech work.

9. bkmn says:

Apparently CNN doesn’t feel the need to focus on real news that actually affects real people. It is more important to craft a story about a scant few who feel it is so necessary to be trendy that they can waste several thousand dollars having a “doctor” move hairs from the back of their neck to the front of it.

That is why I don’t watch or visit CNN online.

10. Tor says:

I think a spotchy beard is the ultimate in hipsterness.

$5-$15K? Hipsters today, perhaps but obviously Trustifarians for life.