House Republicans save Christmas

Pack it up, folks. The War on Christmas is over. Godless liberals lost. Christmas won.

From The Hill:

Rep. Doug Lamborn (R-Colo.) has introduced a resolution expressing the sense of the House that “the symbols and traditions of Christmas should be protected for use by those who celebrate Christmas” amid warnings from the right that religion is being pushed out of the holiday.

The resolution states that the House “strongly disapproves of attempts to ban references to Christmas” and “expresses support for the use of these symbols and traditions by those who celebrate Christmas.”

Thirty-five fellow Republicans have signed onto the resolution as co-sponsors.

Checkmate, atheists! Have fun trying to ban Christmas now that the House is moving a non-binding resolution through its chambers!

And checkmate, Starbucks! Put a picture of Jesus dying on the cross while wearing a Santa hat on your coffee cups NOW. No more of this anti-Christmas red and green nonsense:

large_Starbucks-Red-Cups-2015

Image originally flagged by Breitbart London.

And checkmate, Donald Trump! Have fun trying to slip this clear attempt to “ban references to Christmas” at your hotels past the federal government now that Representative Lamborn is on the case:

Screen-Shot-2015-09-25-at-3.15.58-PM

Image originally flagged by Right Wing Watch.

Perhaps it’s because I’m currently living outside of the United States, but I have to say that the War on Christmas has felt rather weak this year. Aside from the early flap over Starbucks cups and the occasional Festivus pole, I really haven’t seen that much news about purported attacks on Christmas or Christianity this holiday season. House Republicans seem to be awfully worried about attempts by secular liberals to take Christmas away from them, but as someone who would normally be standing accused of such attempts, I honestly don’t see it.

But hey, what do I know? I’m sheltered from the United States’ holiday season here in Argentina, where over 90 percent of citizens are Catholic and have, to the amazement of precisely no one outside the US, figured out how to celebrate Christmas without gluttonous consumerism, sickly sweet holiday music and performative religiosity.

Jon Green graduated from Kenyon College with a B.A. in Political Science and high honors in Political Cognition. He worked as a field organizer for Congressman Tom Perriello in 2010 and a Regional Field Director for President Obama's re-election campaign in 2012. Jon writes on a number of topics, but pays especially close attention to elections, religion and political cognition. Follow him on Twitter at @_Jon_Green, and on Google+. .

26 Responses to “House Republicans save Christmas”

1. koolaidyarn says:

Slightly off-topic but just barely: is the Salvation Army still the evangelical homophobic beggars as usual? If so, any chance of reposting the handy-dandy easy-to-print note to leave in their red buckets explaining why I’m supporting charities instead of funding their lobbying budget?

Thanks!

2. Buford2k11 says:

Umm…Happy Summer there in Argentina…As I freeze my sorry butt off…shoveling snow, thinking, I should move some where it is warmer…Nah…the Rockies is the place to be…as I light up my early Christmas present…

3. Buford2k11 says:

It’s over already? sheesh…All my efforts, and all I got was two shots in my Grande Mocha..

4. eenaer6yah says:

❝my neighbor’s aunty is making $98 HOURLY on the internet❞….A few days ago new McLaren F1 subsequent after earning 18,512$,,,this was my previous month’s paycheck ,and-a little over, $17k Last month ..3-5 h/r of work a day ..with extra open doors & weekly paychecks.. it’s realy the easiest work I have ever Do.. I Joined This 7 months ago and now making over $87, p/h..Learn More right Here….
    ae….
    ➤➤
    ➤➤➤ http://GlobalSuperEmploymentVacanciesReportJobs/GetPaid/$98hourly… ❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦.❦

5. johnbales says:

Says it all so much better than I could! Love it!!!

6. crazymonkeylady says:

I’m done with airing my grievances.

7. Ol' Hippy says:

This country could learn a lot from other countries about Xmas. The blatant commercialization, and nonstop carols are enough to drive you crazy. I like the Xmas holiday,it’s my favorite even though I don’t believe in Christ I still( watch mass every year) just to try and understand the faith. Merry Festivus(or Christmas) everybody.

8. rwlorenz says:

You can never have too many Santas to celebrate the birth of Jesus.

9. rwlorenz says:

And to think that Republicans in Congress have be ridiculed for not being able to govern. Listen up critics, these people know the scope and power of the United States Congress. Next up, saving Arbor Day.

10. nicho says:

No one really has any idea what’s going on. It’s the most bizarre thing you’ve ever seen, but it’s fun. The kids love it. It takes up a huge piece of property in the Movie Colony area of Palm Springs. There are giant transformer-like robots, aliens, you name it. Google “Palm Springs Robolights.” It’s a hoot.

11. Doug105 says:

Ginger alien needs a house.

12. Doug105 says:

Not as well planned out but see below.

The home whose owners obviously said, “You know what? A dozen Santas still isn’t quite enough.”

I love it. I have no idea what the hell is going on there, but the gingerbread alien is a bucket full of WIN.

The second photo though… is that this guy’s idea of ‘The Sleigh-ride of the Damned’? I mean, Santa-Angel up there is armed with some kind of rifle and the yellow people appear to be screaming for help.

15. The_Fixer says:

Wow. That’s nearly… something, I just can’t figure out what.

The so-called ‘war on Christmas’ is just a wingnut time-filler during the usually slack news cycles at the end of each year. The equivalent of a stupid argument at a family holiday dinner or somesuch.

This year, they’re openly debating whether to ban Islam in America and deport all the Muslims, citizens and visitors alike. Hate crimes against Muslims, their places of worship, and in fact everybody presumed to be a Muslim (basically, you just need brown skin, straight hair, and not to be obviously Latino…who the GOPers also hate) is at risk now of violence.

We’re way the hell beyond silly Christmas wingnuttery at this point. I mean, when the story choice is “omg, Starbucks isn’t being overtly Christmas this year” or “omg, shut down the mosques because TERRAH!” — guess which one they’re running with now?

Basically, it’s looking more and more like the 2016 elections are going to be a referendum in America on whether the country opts to go full-bore fascist or not.

17. nicho says:

How do you know they’re Christians. In our neck of the woods, the biggest, most popular, most garish Christmas display is put up by a Muslim.

18. Hue-Man says:

From this year’s 22 Minutes Christmas Special or is that Holiday Special?

19. Doug105 says:

Looks american, so nope.

20. JaneE says:

There are so many more tempting and vulnerable targets to hate this year, they can’t waste time on people who only say Happy Holidays.

Except for the word “Christmas” above the garage door, there’s nothing there to indicate the Christian holiday. Do you think the people in the house have any clue?

22. Doug105 says:

Just because you asked here.

23. Don Chandler says:

Really makes me want a pet lion but I know they are less discriminant in their tastes.

24. Doug105 says:

Nice to see they found one other thing that they’re willing to do, since anything useful like job bills, helping Vets, and repairing infrastructure are off the table, but somehow there is always time to cut taxes on the rich and corporations.

25. Quilla says:

Cheeses. These “War on Christmas” folks are clueless to their own ridiculousness.