Neil Patrick Harris’ opening number from the Tony Awards Sunday night (video)

I had no idea the Tony Awards were the other night. I’m seriously going to get my card revoked.

Neil-Patrick-Harris-Tony-Awards-2013-opening

I’m anything but a good gay man when it comes to Broadway and Opera. I enjoy both, but don’t follow either. Nor do I watch sports. So I’m not exactly sure what that makes me.

17 Responses to “Neil Patrick Harris’ opening number from the Tony Awards Sunday night (video)”

1. mpeasee says:

…its always great to wake up with a little musical! Neal’s awesome!

2. gowian says:

I’m not a HIMYM fan, but no two ways about it, that dude is seriously talented.

3. olandp says:

NPH is just wonderful. Notice the nearly won minute standing ovation, for an opening!

John, you should return your toaster oven immediately.

4. chrislib says:

Download or stream the whole show.

5. pappyvet says:

His opening was really good

Where did I learn that Neil Patrick Harris really could sing? Why “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog” of course!

He’s a treasure.

7. Vicky says:

Well, since (as NPH taught us all 2 years ago) Broadway’s “not just for gays anymore”, you’re probably ok ;)
    (if you haven’t seen that year’s opening number you really must: http://youtu.be/-6S5caRGpK4 )

8. SomeYankInRio says:

I was thinking more child tv star who transitioned into an out proud gay parent that gives Dan Savage a run for his money in role modeldom (if that’s your scene) AND has a second long running hit TV show AND can sing and dance as well as anyone around. You can call it smug, he seems content to me – and with (it seems) pretty good reason.

I’m not sure what to make of Neil Patrick Harris. I loathed “Doogie Howser” and I was baffled when, so many years later, he began his self-aware shtick. I mean, his whole act is simply being a smugger version of himself, as if his whole manner is saying, “I’m Neil Patrick Harris and you’re not.” But, weirdly, it’s sort of working on me, and I hate myself for admitting that.

The whole phenomenon is weird–washed-up actors getting a second lease on life by becoming versions of themselves.

10. Anthony_McCarthy says:

The best one I’ve ever seen on any awards show in more than fifty years of seeing them. The Oscars can suck on that forever.

11. usagi says:

And don’t forget whoever wrote that number. He made it look way more effortless than it was, but the composition of that number was genius. It harked back to the glory days of the Broadway musical without being either too self-aware or too campy.

“So I’m not exactly sure what that makes me.” —-enlightened or preternaturally mature. :-)

13. I’m going to do that shortly :)_

14. Quilla says:

Wow. Just…WOW!

15. Jimmy says:

If they aren’t looking at this man to host the Oscars they should be.

That was fun! I watched Neil Patrick Harris dance his heart out live. Then, because nobody actually watches the Tonys, I went on line and surfed.

17. keirmeister says:

I mean…wow! NPH is a national treasure. David Burtka is a lucky guy. :)