Versailles Hip Hop (video)

I am not the world’s biggest Hip Hop fan. But this was kind of fun. The group is Monastère Amer (Bitter Monastery?), but I’m not entirely sure if they’re a musical group, or a humor troupe. Either way, it’s a fun video.

Versaille-hip-hop

11 Responses to “Versailles Hip Hop (video)”

1. arcchat says:

Hello From Versailles France. You can find the integral translation of the “hip hop de Versailles” when you activate the subtitle on the video …. Best regard,

2. akfy says:

ne met pas TTC dans la même catégorie que ces merdeux et ceux que tu as mis entre parenthèse merci

Stairway to Heaven :-)

I also have iTunes playlists labeled “Nostalgia,” “Rock Favorites,” and “Mood Boost.” No Patty Smith in there, but a fair amount of 60s through early 80s rock and pop music.

Patty Smith still works for me.

It’s bad poetry, rotten music, tribal stomping and otherwise not quite up to the standards of anarchy—– more like pogo sticking compared to pole vaulting.

I know — not ashamed or anything. Taste is taste. Easily half the stuff I listen to — or more — would most likely be hated by 90% of the rest of the population.

Trance, techno, deep-space electronica, ambient… Right now, I’m listening to Drone Zone from SomaFM via streaming.

8. dula says:

There is no originality. They all sound the same and move the same. The hand gestures derived from throwing gang signs…ridiculous to see Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus doing it.

9. bFromVersailles says:

To answer your first question: yes, “Monastère Amer” does mean “Bitter monastery”, however this is a pun over the Rap posse “Ministère A.M.E.R.” (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minist%C3%A8re_AMER) and the fact that Versailles is very religious (catholic) city, hence the monastery bit.

Regarding the second question, whether they are a humor troupe or an actual hip-hip group, this is more delicate. They are neither, or both at the same time. They are trying to start a new parodic/fun hip-hop group like we have a lot of them in France (see Sebastien Patrick, Fatal Bazooka, Passymal, TTC). See their website for more: http://www.monastereamer.com/biographie

10. zorbear says:

Not something to be ashamed of, as everyone is allowed (or should be allowed) an opinion. Plus, it reminds me of when I saw Ray Charles on a late night talk show (Letterman?) and he was asked about Rap. Charles did a look stage right/left, then leaned in towards the host and said, “just between you and me, that ain’t music”…

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!
    :-D

I’ll say this right up front: I don’t ‘get’ hip-hop. The gestures, the grimaces and sneers… even when it’s well done, it always feels to me like being attacked by the music.