Neat video map of WWII in Europe, day by day over the course of the war

A rather neat video showing, day by day, over the entire course of World War II, who controlled which lands in Europe, and the various movements back and forth over time from Germany’s invasion of Poland to Germany’s surrender.

wwii-map

What’s particularly amazing is the long swaths of time where nothing is happening.  Of course, you know the war is still going on, but the boundaries aren’t moving for a VERY long time.  It really brings home long this thing was.  This was no one-month shock and awe and it’s over.

It’s a very cool way of depicting the war.

28 Responses to “Neat video map of WWII in Europe, day by day over the course of the war”

1. GreenEagle says:

Not a fact, and plenty of insults with nothing to back them up.

You are really a pathetic person, Cole.

2. cole3244 says:

your behavior goes beyond irrational into another level which is scary to think about, maybe that’s why you defend the subject of our dispute so much.
    i will leave you to your devices and move on to more sensible and sane disagreements and you, you do whatever irrational individuals do just don’t carry your point to a dangerous end.
    you can have the last comment as this will be my last.

3. GreenEagle says:

Cole, I don’t know what the hell is the matter with you. I am stating facts about World War II which are relatively commonly known among those with an interest in the subject, and which are easily verified, and you have replied twice with pretty vicious insults, and no substantive facts at all. What on earth leads you to assert that people have a horrible time dealing with my “irrational behavior?” What do you know about me at all? I’d like to see an answer to that. In the meantime, maybe you can finally explain what you know about World War II that makes my remarks false. I don’t think you know jack about the subject. Prove me wrong.

4. cole3244 says:

me thinks you protest too much.

i have a healthy respect for those that have to deal with your irrational behavior on a personal level for that i am spared.
    calm down and take a nap you obviously need one.

5. Kanon25 says:

“Hitler could have held his ground for decades, had he not invaded Poland.”

You dont grasp the point of the war. The war came about precisely because Hitler kept invading other people and then actually invaded Poland in order to PROVOKE a world war. Poland was a pathological move – which came with a predictable blowback.

So, your commentary makes no sense, really.

6. GreenEagle says:

You can’t (as the man said) handle with the truth, I see. Hitler said early on in the war that if he waited until 1945, he would be unable to beat the Soviet Union. However much of a maniac he was, he clearly was right about that. What he didn’t realize was the degree of sacrifice the Russians were willing to endure to defeat the Germans. In reality, he was unable to deal with the Soviet Union in 1943 either, given the situation in North Africa. The two front war was too much for Germany in the second World War, as it was in the first.

This has nothing to do with Hitler’s derangement and evil nature.

7. cole3244 says:

what rational, you are as irrational as the maniac you defend as being sane.

8. GreenEagle says:

Question my rationality all you want. What do you have to say about the facts I presented?

I think you’re dating yourself a bit there sir.

10. cole3244 says:

hitler and rational are oxymorons and i question your own rationality if you question his lack of the same.

11. GreenEagle says:

I believe this is an overstatement of Hitler’s irrationality. Stalin used the time of the nonaggression pact to move virtually the entire Soviet industrial base from the West to East of the Ural Mountains, out of the reach of Hitler’s war machine. This meant that Stalin had virtually unlimited capacity to produce military hardware. Hitler knew that, if he waited until late 1944 or 1945, the Soviets would have a vast superiority in materiel. Hitler was probably right that his only chance in the East was to attack in 1942. If he made big mistakes, it was probably when he put off the attack on Southern Russia until after he finished his feud with the Balkans, ending up fighting in Stalingrad in the winter, and when he could not decide between capturing the Caucasian oil fields or the oil supply routes that ran through Stalingrad, so he attacked both of them, and lost them both. With the Soviets then having vast superiority of men, equipment and fuel, the war was lost for Germany by the spring of 1943.

12. Michael Iverson says:

Is there one for the China-Pacific theater of the war?

13. willardcottrell says:

I don’t fully agree that “Russia did it alone”. The war of the Atlantic was as much to get supplies to Russia as England. The war of the Atlantic was a battle that carried on from ’39 until the last days of the war, Without western aid I am not sure Russia would have prevailed. If by “alone” you men manpower, I fully agree.

14. cole3244 says:

its a good thing hitler was such a maniac and vastly overrated germany’s strength and over extended his reach and weakened germany on all fronts, his obscene personality won the day for the allies.

15. JozefAL says:

John, I understand that you’re only showing someone else’s work, but I have to object to Germany’s sole designation as the “Axis Powers.” Either Italy should have been included from the onset or the “Axis Powers” designation shouldn’t have been used until the establishment of the Tripartite Pact in 1940.

16. JozefAL says:

Actually, Japan chose to abide by its neutrality pact with the Soviet Union, partly due to the Japanese defeat at Khalkhin Gol. (Interesting tidbit: The Soviet General responsible for winning at Khalkhin Gol was Georgy Zhukov–the same man who helped lead the Soviet offensives against the German Army, almost from the onset of Germany’s invasion of the Soviet Union. Even though Zhukov was “demoted” after Stalin objected to some of his plans–especially to abandon Kiev to better defend Moscow–Zhukov kept track of how the German offensive was going. He correctly predicted what the Germans would do and warned Stalin who ignored his prediction; after Zhukov’s prediction came true, in incredibly accurate detail, Stalin reinstated Zhukov, after which Zhukov would eventually become the man who saved the Soviet Union, and helped put an end to Hitler.)

17. Terskac says:

I think you mean the Soviets broke the back of the Nazis at Stalingrad. They did it alone. After that the Germans would certainly lose the war. It was only a matter of time. The invasion of Normandy kept the Russians from marching to the Atlantic. Germany was beaten. Hitler always planned to invade Russia. IT was Stalingrad that was attacked for no reason other than he didn’t succeed at Moscow.

Very impressive. I especially found it interesting to see how quickly Germany itself collapsed once the shooting war came home. Hitler could have held his ground for decades, had he not invaded Poland.

19. And how long it took for the lines to move at some points.

20. Ancient Chinese secret.

21. pappyvet says:

My Dad was Army Air Corp and my Mom was what they used to call a ” Candy striper.” She volunteered and from time to time one of the regular nursed would give her a few ration stamps to help out. She said that it was not at all clear at the start of the war that we would win. I always remember that in hard times.

22. FLL says:

I guess I should have said that the Battle of Stalingrad is when the Allies finally broke the back of the Axis Powers. Yes, after losing the Battle of Britain, Hitler insanely decided to launch his suicidal push into Russia.

23. bhull says:

Part of that was that Japan could not/refused to create an eastern Russian front to take the heat off Hitler’s invasion of western Russia.

24. pappyvet says:

Absolutely brilliant John ! Where do you find this stuff.

25. willardcottrell says:

I think the turning point was the battle of Britain. If they had succeeded there, Russia would have fallen.

26. FLL says:

That part of the video was downright scary. It should be shown to future generations. I don’t think modern-day people realize how close the world may have gotten to a disastrous ending in the 1940s. The turning point was the Battle of Stalingrad in late 1942 and January of 1943.

What I found fascinating, watching the map, was how hopeless things looked 1940-42, even after the U.S. entered the war at the end of ’41.

28. FLL says:

A truly awesome video. It really brings the gravity of the situation home to the viewer. It took 12 years (1933-1945) to crush Hitler’s dictatorship. It took 45 years to free Eastern Europe from the grip of the Soviet Union and its puppet regimes (1945-1990). Dictatorship cannot compete against democracy. If it could, I wouldn’t be writing on your comment pages (nor would the occasional trolls, for that matter).