Great footage of the aurora borealis in Norway

Some great footage of one of the biggest aurora borealis shows in years, filmed in northern Norway, near the Russian border.

noresy-aurora

I think I’ve only seen the aurora twice in my life, that I recall. Once in Alaska, and once while flying to Europe in the old days when we used to fly over Iceland (maybe we still do). It remember looking out the window, and just seeing these beautiful bright light-green fingers of light slowly pulsing. It was amazing.

The video is by the same guy I posted last week, who did the mountaintop video in Spain.  Enjoy.

(I’m told that in order to actually see my Facebook posts in your feed, you need to “follow” me – so say the experts.)

12 Responses to “Great footage of the aurora borealis in Norway”

LOL

2. Maybe it was the refueling.

3. I agree about that. Far too many youtubes have music, especially ones you WANT to hear the sound of.

4. OtterQueen says:

That was beautiful. Ever since Space Truckin’ I’ve wanted to see the aurora borealis. Someday…

5. Stratplayer says:

For once I’d like to see video like this without the musical overlay. Just the actual ambient sound so that it feels more direct and immediate.

6. HeartlandLiberal says:

The music is Now We Are Free, by Hans Zimmer. It is from the soundtrack
    of the film Gladiator. Zimmer writes some of the best music for epic
    movies going now. There are some great videos with his music on YouTube.
    Highly recommended additional Zen moments.
    He did soundtrack for “The DaVinci Code” also. The closing moments of
    the movie are great example, when Langdon suddenly realizes he knows
    where Mary Magdalene is resting.

Nice. Right now, I’m watching the pre-dawn horizon for traces of Comet Lovejoy and Comet Ison. No luck yet due to clouds off the Atlantic.

Beautiful! I remember flying over Iceland but in those days, we stopped to refuel because it’s such a long journey across the North Atlantic. I’ve never seen a full display of the Aurora Borealis but I’ve seen that glimmer in the sky from time to time, living near the Canadian border back when. Nowadays, here in Florida, it’s just sun in the sky and palms that sway in the breeze.

We were able to see them when we visited my husband’s parents in Northern Minnesota. We solved the cold problem by running the car’s engine and sitting on the hood. We also wrapped blankets around our other winter clothing. I also find sun dogs fascinating.

10. Stargazer says:

I saw them many times when I lived in northern Vermont, and every time was a thrill. The vast majority of the time it was a quick view because it was so cold out that even when dressed warmly the chill would still get to you quickly since you were standing still. While they could happen at any time during the year, I’m guessing that winter is when they are most often seen due to both the tilt of the earth’s axis bringing them into view for more people and dryer air in the atmosphere that allows for them to be seen in their full glory.

However, I do fondly remember one amazing light show that occurred during the warmer months. I was with a group of about 6 people lying on the grass on a slight incline with no trees around that put the entire show right in front of us. As I recall it was warm enough that we didn’t even need a jacket and we were all captivated for hours. It was something I’ll always remember, and doubt I’ll get to experience again.

On a similar, yet unrelated topic, after frequently seeing satellites traveling overhead I found some web sites that would identify what each of them were. That turned out to be somewhat meaningless, (to me at least), but I also found a few links that showed the International Space Station, (ISS), orbit as well. Once you know when it is going to be going overhead it is incredibly easy to see and I find it to be fascinating; enough so that I usually go out to look at every good viewable pass that goes over me. You can see when it is scheduled to be over you on this page:

This site will show you the route and time, (click the box for the track, or “details” to see a closer view with times), as well as rate how good the pass will be due to the elevation and brightness. The only time you can see it is around twilight because in the middle of the night it is dark due to being eclipsed by the earth’s shadow. In some passes you’ll see it go into or come out of the eclipse; one memorable pass for me saw it blink out at about 20 degree’s on the horizon and about 700 miles from my location.

When I first found it a month or so ago the good visible passes were during the evening, but currently they are in the 6-8 AM period, (central U.S.). I suspect that will shift back to the evenings in the next couple of weeks. Even if you are in a city or an area with a lot of light pollution you should still be able to see it, especially the brighter ones. It really is amazing to see, and I hope some of you get a chance to check it out.

11. jharp says:

I saw the aurora borealis in north central Ohio in the 80’s and I am pretty sure a couple of other times but can’t be sure of where.
    Very cool. Curtains of light is how I describe it.

Thankfully “The Red Green Show”‘s Ranger Gord has taught us what the aurora borealis really is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KywoNMmym0