Nothing says “cool” like breakdancing rural Turks in 1991 (video)

Because nothing says “cool” like a group of Turks, all looking like Borat clones, breakdancing at a party in rural Turkey in 1991.

turkish-break-dancer-1991

The guys are actually pretty good.

(I’m told that in order to actually see my Facebook posts in your feed, you need to “follow” me – so say the experts.)

11 Responses to “Nothing says “cool” like breakdancing rural Turks in 1991 (video)”

1. SkippyFlipjack says:

“I KISS YOU!” — Mahir.

2. Jim Olson says:

Yes, I know of yağlı güreş. I need a cold drink every time I see it. ;)

3. maria877 says:

until I looked at
    the receipt which had said $7858, I accept that my mother in law woz realey
    earning money part time on their apple labtop.. there neighbor has done this
    for under sixteen months and a short time ago repayed the morgage on there
    villa and bourt a great new Lotus Elise. visit this web-site http://www.bar29.cℴℳ

4. Cletus says:

Since when are jokes constrained by fact?

5. FLL says:

You’re definitely referring to another part of the Muslim world—not Turkey, which followed a very relaxed (ahem) version of Islam (the Hanafi school of Islam). See my inappropriate comment above.

6. FLL says:

“there is something much deeper and ancient going on in their dances”

Most people have no idea. Did you ever see paintings and drawings of the Seljuk Turks who migrated to from Central Asia to Turkey during the eleventh century? Very oriental eyes, like the Mongols. They mixed with the population of ancient Anatolia, which was olive-skinned and dark-haired. 1,000 years later, by the twentieth century, there were so many Turks with blond hair, blue eyes or green eyes—people who look like they have relatives in Croatia, or maybe Vienna. What happened?! If I got too detailed, I think the moderators would ban me from this blog, so I’ll just say that the Ottoman Empire had immigration policies designed to attract “the best and the brightest” into imperial service and civilian society. (And being good-looking probably didn’t hurt either.) It worked for 1,000 years, so I won’t argue with success. Celebrating our Ottoman cultural heritage…

7. Probably less likely in Turkey, thankfully.

8. WL says:

love it! very interesting topics, I hope the incoming
    comments and suggestion are equally positive. Thanks for sharing information
    that is actually helpful. Ecopolitan

9. Jim Olson says:

If only we were so open to embracing cultural ideas from other places. There is something quite charming and lovely about this…and there is something much deeper and ancient going on in their dances.

10. Cletus says:

After which, they were taken outside and shot for being “infidels”…

11. cole3244 says:

i was stationed on an af base outside of istanbul in 1965, the women on this video were ignored, when we made bull runs for r&r the pavion girls were more liberated to say the least and beautiful.